Friday 13 July 2018

to whom it may concern, of whom it's really none of your business...

It's come to my attention that certain individuals have accused Jordan Owen 42 of sexually assaulting me at a conference on men's issues held in the fall of 2014 in Georgia.

Caveat: I'm subscribed to JO42's channel, but haven't watched any of his content in probably more than a year now because he stopped reliably talking about topics I'm interested in. My interactions with him (most notably his interview of me and my colleagues for his joint project with Davis Aurini, "The Sarkeesian Effect") have been friendly, but we're not friends.

I want people to know that at that event Jordan did make a pass at me that was unexpected but not alarming or upsetting, and he gracefully took my "no" for an answer. My "no" was based entirely on the fact that I was (and still am) in a long term committed relationship with someone. I'd have said no to ANYONE who'd made sexual or romantic advances at that time, including Clive Owen or Marton Csokas, my own personal "celebrity dream lays".

I can only view the third parties who are making these accusations, and who are making them without my authorization, are doing so for purposes other than defending my honor or championing my sexual autonomy. If those were the reasons they were levelling these public accusations, I would suggest they'd have reached out to me to ask if I was upset or offended by my interactions with Jordan before they mounted their white horses, tipped their helmets and dipped their spears on my behalf. That they didn't certainly suggests they suspected I would not have confirmed their narrative.

Jordan reached out to me with some concern to ask if I had felt upset, offended or violated by our interaction, out of a genuine worry that I might have been. I assured him, as I am assuring everyone now, that our one brief non-professional interaction at that conference was trivial and mundane, and didn't result in any negative feelings on either of our parts. He made a gentle pass. I told him I had a boyfriend. That was the end of it. Frankly, given that I was 45 at the time, the entire thing was a pleasant surprise.

That there are people who don't like Jordan who are trying to stir up bad feelings in public on my behalf without my consent is... disturbing. Do these men think a woman like me is made of spun glass, that an unexpected sexual overture is going to shatter me? All I see are men using me as a way to attack another man they don't like. They are turning me into Anita Sarkeesian's cynical characterization of women's position in society--"in the game of patriarchy, women are not the opposing team, we're the ball."

I'm not interested in being Davis Aurini's or Matt Forney's patriarchy damsel-ball. Anyone wanting to publicly accuse another person of sexually assaulting me had damn well better clear that with me first to ensure they know what the fuck they're talking about.

And finally, false allegations of sexual misconduct are a weapon custom-fitted to a woman's hand and are wielded the vast majority of the time by women with emotional problems. So I'd gently suggest to anyone forwarding these baseless accusations that they stop behaving like mentally unstable teenage girls and try acting like men.


23 comments:

  1. Weirdness.

    It's a terrible thing that this stuff needs be a public concern in the first place.

    There seems to be this year a lot of infighting over what seems nothing for no discernible reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously.....Jordan really hit on a fucking repulsive looking butch rhinoceros/yeti creature like you?
    Even Donald Trump looks more female than you.
    Urghhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, you're the best.

    If more women were like you I wouldn't be in favor of taking away their right to vote.

    Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm really trying to find a way to connect with you. I hope this works. @Karen Straughan I'd like your perspective. I am a professional psychotherapist and I have been watching your work. I have also been referring clientele to watch your work. I wish to thank you for your apologetic efforts. It has been refreshing and supportive to my male and female clients as well as to myself. I am definitely interested in your thoughts. Please watch and consider doing a youtube response to this as I would love to hear your perspective as wife/daughter/sister/mother/friend. I'd also REALLY like to be able to discuss the amazingly deceitful Anita Sarkeesian (Sp?) and her incredible, open academic dishonesty- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPD1w78D5I&pbjreload=10

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my pantheon of Iron Bitch Goddesses there's Boadicea.....and you. You've influenced my thinking on a number of levels, always with a focus on celebrating a more direct Communion with Reality. Not an MRA, but definitely an admirer. Give 'em hell, sister. Drag 'em there if you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your posts are very nice and interesting. Thank you. Keep blogging.
    Router Support

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice blog as very interesting and meaningful
    Brother Printer Support

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your amazing post with us.linksys extender setup

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for for your great information. It really makes me happy and I am satisfied with the arrangement of your post.


    free online slot
    free slot no download
    GOLDENSLOT
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!

    baccarat online
    บาคาร่าออนไลน์
    slots
    สล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://owningyourshit.blogspot.com/2018/12/waving-goodbye-to-patreon.html?showComment=1595645124412#c6718609415234391931

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site.
    timing tablets price in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  15. An Emirates Id is the primary identification card used for the identity of all people living in the UAE. It is a personal database of every resident in the UAE, which a resident or expat must carry all the time. The Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (FAIC) issues this card with the help of the Emirates Identification Authority (EIDA). Each Emirates ID card contains a 15-digit identity number and an electronic chip that stores all the information about you, such as your photo, name, father’s name, date of birth, etc. To Apply for an emirates ID, Click here to read our detailed article on it. Here in this article we will help you to track emirates ID and emirates id status that you have already applied.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greetings! Very helpful advice on this article! It is the little changes that make the biggest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing! 릴게임

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice blog as very interesting and meaningful.
    kamrun seo

    ReplyDelete

Commenting policy:

All comments are welcome here. I refuse to censor points of view that differ from my own.

I recognize that I may be challenging the deep-seated beliefs of some people, and perhaps stirring up emotions in others. However, I would ask:

- if you care to respond to anything that I have said, please do not simply link to or quote some statistic. Do not simply regurgitate things you have been told are true. Think about what I am saying. Respond with an argument. Offer something from your personal observations, and explain to me how you feel your statistic is connected to your experience.

- If you wish to be part of a discussion, try not to dismiss what I or a another commenter says out of hand. Yes, that means that some lines of thought or ideologies may not stand up to scrutiny (perhaps even my own).

- Remember, ad hominem attacks diminish everyone involved. If you want to criticize anything, do so passionately and directly - but debate is about attacking ideas, not people.

Have at you!